Update from the last YHANO meeting (6 December 2018)
Priority 1 – working collaboratively to engage key regional strategic partners
- YHANO is has gathered information about the services hospices across Yorkshire and the Humber provide for people with neurological conditions. This will help us to identify and hopefully spread good practices and innovative ideas. We will respond to all hospices in the new year to say thank you and offer support, including awareness sessions, if needed.
- We continue to engage with Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust about the neurology situation. It is still recruiting neurologists and is willing to work with us and Healthwatch Wakefield to conduct a survey of and focus groups for people with neurological conditions to feedback on current services. We will also encourage Wakefield CCG to run an awareness session for GPs to update them on the developments in neurology.
- Humber Coast and Vale STP is planning a review of neuro pathways. More information when it is known.
- We are delighted to welcome new YHANO members: the Stroke Association, MyAware, the Alzheimer’s Society and Muscular Dystrophy UK.
Priority 2 – providing neurological education for health and social care practitioners
- Very successful neuro awareness events have been held with Doncaster Council social care teams, SWYFT long term conditions mental health team covering Calderdale and Kirklees and Hull social prescribing team.
- Further sessions are arranged with Bradford mental health teams, a Sheffield social care team and Rotherham mental health team.
- Plans for 2019 are to continue to offer awareness sessions to social care and mental health teams across Yorkshire and the Humber. We will also offer similar sessions for care home groups as appropriate.
- There is also a long term conditions event in Lincolnshire planned for June.
Priority 3 – YHANO as a virtual network
- The National Neurological Alliance is consulting on holding regional meetings (north and south) as these have not been well attended. YHANO members are committed to attending any regional meetings if possible.
Date of the next YHANO meeting
Tuesday 5 March, 10am – 12.30pm, Holiday Inn Doncaster (in the cafe). All welcome.