Update from the last YHANO meeting (4 June 2019)
Priority 1 – working collaboratively to engage key regional strategic partners
- Mid Yorkshire update – waiting for new Healthwatch Wakefield chief executive to start before agreeing next steps.
- Humber Coast and Vale neuro pathways review – Jane and Ruth attended engagement events February. The notes from the various pathway reviews have been shared, we are waiting to hear about next steps, but understand there are meetings to share plans with healthcare professionals in early June.
- West Yorkshire and Harrogate Health and Care Partnership engagement event – Ruth attended. The focus was on feedback from small voluntary sector projects funded in the past 12 months. Most were about tackling loneliness and isolation. There were some focus groups and Ruth highlighted information about the need for mental health support for people with neurological conditions and particularly an offer at diagnosis and issues around infections (particularly UTIs).
- South Yorkshire and Bassetlaw Integrated Care System engagement event – Ruth is attending on 6 June and will try and raise similar concerns to those highlighted at the West Yorkshire and Harrogate event.
- Airedale / Bradford wheelchair services - there has been a consultation at Airedale CCG around wheelchair services. Ruth and Sal have highlighted issues with Bradford wheelchair services to be told the issue is a lack of staff, particularly therapists. Once this issue is addressed, they will consider a consultation around the Bradford service.
Priority 2 – providing neurological education for health and social care practitioners
- Another very successful neuro awareness event was held with Let’s Talk Hull who also offered to do talks for local groups about the services offered.
- Further sessions are arranged with mental health teams in Rotherham, North and North East Lincolnshire as well as other social care teams in Sheffield. There is also an awareness event for Lincolnshire County Council on 13 June.
- Plans for 2019 are to continue to offer awareness sessions to social care and mental health teams across Yorkshire and the Humber. We will also offer similar sessions for care home groups as appropriate.
Priority 3 – YHANO as a virtual network
- The National Neurological Alliance Northern Meeting was on Thursday 21 March.
- The patient survey report is due out on 10 July and information about conditions will be shared with members.
- A report looking at rare neurological conditions (fewer than 30,000 cases) is planned.
- There is a Neuro Alliance mental health conference on 26 June and YHANO is doing a short presentation about the awareness work with mental health providers.
- The next Neurological Alliance Northern Meeting is on 17 October, 11am – 2pm, in Leeds.
Date of the next YHANO meeting
Tuesday 3 September by Skype. Get in touch if you want to join us.